This past week I was tagged in the Homework Meme craze by Jill Thompson. It helped me to get to know Jill, a blog follower, for the person she is, besides her digital persona. I decide to participate as I think it is meaningful for my readers to get to know me as well.
11 RANDOM FACTS ABOUT ME MANY PEOPLE MAY NOT KNOW
- My first paid job was to play Christmas Carols on the piano at a party at my local Community College when I was around 15.
- I am an only child so some might say I am bossy, while others call me a leader. I have strong likes and dislikes.
- I am still friends with my 4th Grade teacher who married the man who used to be my dentist.
- I love to read the Bible and be challenged by the truths found there.
- I worked at Sears Auto Center in College. While taking 19 hours of classes one semester, I also worked 20 hours a week at Sears, greeted customers then took their auto repair orders. I made the Dean’s List for the first time that semester and learned how to manage time.
- I grew up being afraid of dogs but married a veterinarian (Well, at the time we got married 16 years ago, he had just gotten in to N.C. State’s School of Veterinary Medicine!)
- I like Teen Beach Movie and dance along while the movie is playing! I also love One Direction’s songs like “You’ve Got That One Thing” and “Story of My Life” whose video is currently my favorite, Katy Perry’s “Eye of the Tiger” and Christian Worship songs.
- My heart breaks to hear when someone’s marriage breaks apart.
- After my first year of teaching in 1992-1993, I entered Graduate School where I proceeded to teach 3rd Graders all day, then go to school at night and summers from 1993 – 1996 back when we didn’t have the internet and advanced degrees in education took at least two years to complete. I discovered Social Constructivism, Rosenblatt’s Transactional Theory of Reading, Vygotsky’s Zone of Proximal Development and Sam Miller, the best Education Professor ever at UNC-Greensboro!)
- I cry very easily when thinking about my blessings and am thankful for my life.
- My husband bought his own Veterinary Practice, South End Veterinary Clinic, in Charlotte, NC in 2012.
Jill’s 11 QUESTIONS:
- If you could give your younger self some advice, what would it be? (Spend time with your husband, not schoolwork, every night and weekend.)
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go? (Hawaii)
- Have you paid it forward? (As a teacher, I have spent hours of time outside of school time to plan lessons and prepare for my students. I suggested to my church that they pay the rent for a homeless child who was in my class but lived in her grandma’s car and the church agreed. I have volunteered a lot in my life: Choir Director, Accompanist for Choirs, Camp Counselor, Leader of Science Olympiad at my school. I have given to charities. I have focused on raising my own children and developing their moral base to provide a strong foundation for their adult lives.)
- How many states have you lived in? (ONE – North Carolina)
- What is your favorite device? (iPad)
- If you were going to write a book, what would its title be? (“Listen Well”)
- What is your favorite holiday? (Christmas)
- What is a goal of 2014? (Lose Weight)
- Who was your favorite teacher? (Rita Layton Harrell – 4th Grade Teacher)
- If you could be on a reality TV show, which one would you be on? (HGTV – House Hunters – I don’t like regular Reality TV as it wastes my time.)
- What would your last meal on earth be? (Steak and a baked potato with garlic bread)
11 BLOGGERS I’M TAGGING:
Stephanie at http://teachinginroom6.blogspot.com/
- Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
- Share 11 random facts about yourself.
- Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
- List 11 bloggers.
- Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer, and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. Don’t nominate a blogger who has nominated you.
My 11 Questions:
1. What are your gifts?
2. If you were stranded on an island, what message would you send in a bottle?
3. What were three traits of an influential teacher that you’ve had?
4. What is a word that people think of when they think of you?
5. What restaurant do you like?
6. Describe one of your best days ever.
7. If you could travel ahead in time, what would you see in the world?
8. If you could speak to an American President, what would you ask him?
9. Do you prefer chocolate or something else?
10. What advice would you give a new teacher?
11. What Title would you give a new book that you might write?